TLWI Dev #67
Welcome back to another exciting week of our newsletter! We have some fantastic resources to share with you today, so sit back and get ready to level up your CSS skills!
First up, we have 3 Sites that make CSS easy! Whether you're just getting started with CSS or you're a seasoned pro looking to streamline your workflow, these sites are sure to help you out. With easy-to-follow tutorials and helpful tips, you'll be creating stunning designs in no time!
If you're looking to take your CSS skills to the next level, be sure to check out our tutorial on Building a Tailwind CSS dropdown component. This powerful framework makes it easy to create beautiful, responsive designs without the need for custom CSS. Give it a try and take your designs to the next level!
Next up, we have something truly impressive - The mother of all demo apps. This exemplary fullstack clone of Medium.com is powered by React, Angular, Node, Django, and many more! Whether you're a web developer looking for some inspiration or just a curious reader, this is not something you want to miss.
Are you still trying to land that first frontend developer job? Fear not, as we have a collection of 5 Free coding resources that helped me get my first frontend developer job that are sure to help you out. From online courses to free tools, these resources are proven to help you improve your skills and land your dream job.
Last but not least, we have an important warning for all you React developers out there - Don't Use Create React App Until You Know This. Learn about some of the potential pitfalls of using this popular tool and how to avoid them.
That's it for this week's newsletter. We hope you found these resources helpful and informative. Stay tuned for more updates next week!
Our Repo Picks
- microsoft/Data-Science-For-Beginners (Jupyter Notebook): 10 Weeks, 20 Lessons, Data Science for All!
- appsmithorg/appsmith (TypeScript): Build completely custom admin panels and internal tools. Use 30+ react components to build pages without HTML/CSS.
- authzed/spicedb (Go): A Zanzibar-inspired database that stores, computes, and validates application permissions
- public-apis/public-apis (Python): A collective list of free APIs
- PrefectHQ/prefect (Python): The easiest way to automate your data
- facebook/flipper (TypeScript): A desktop debugging platform for mobile developers.
- provectus/kafka-ui (TypeScript): Open-Source Web GUI for Apache Kafka Management
- ansible/ansible (Python): Ansible is a radically simple IT automation platform that makes your applications and systems easier to deploy and maintain. Automate everything from code deployment to network configuration to cloud management, in a language that approaches plain English, using SSH, with no agents to install on remote systems. https://docs.ansible.com.
- nvm-sh/nvm (Shell): Node Version Manager - POSIX-compliant bash script to manage multiple active node.js versions
- unlock-music/unlock-music (TypeScript): Unlock encrypted music file in browser. 在浏览器中解锁加密的音乐文件。
- PowerShell/PowerShell (C#): PowerShell for every system!
- firstcontributions/first-contributions : 🚀✨ Help beginners to contribute to open source projects
- gothinkster/realworld (Shell): "The mother of all demo apps" — Exemplary fullstack Medium.com clone powered by React, Angular, Node, Django, and many more 🏅
- JuliaLang/julia (Julia): The Julia Programming Language
- rwightman/pytorch-image-models (Python): PyTorch image models, scripts, pretrained weights -- ResNet, ResNeXT, EfficientNet, EfficientNetV2, NFNet, Vision Transformer, MixNet, MobileNet-V3/V2, RegNet, DPN, CSPNet, and more
- Slurmio/school-dev-k8s (Mustache): undefined
- mattermost/mattermost-server (Go): Open source Slack-alternative in Golang and React - Mattermost
Our Article Picks
- Shantanu Jana: Skeleton Screen Loading Animation using HTML & CSS
- kapeel kokane: 3 tips from "Atomic habits" that helped me on my journey to becoming a full-stack dev at Microsoft
- Ezran Bayantemur: React Project Architecture
- Stefi Rosca: 🦩 5 Free coding resources that helped me get my first frontend developer job
- Pramit Marattha: Node.js from Beginners to Advance
- Neeraj Sewani: Opinionated guide on tweaking VS Code for productivity
- Valentin Vuk: Land a React Job: The lazy way
- Ethan Olchik: The Peregrine programming language - A Python-like language that's as fast as C.
- faisal khan: Why to use Maps over Objects in JS ?
- Shubham Patil: Start Using Tailwind CSS Right Now
- Yıldıray Ünlü: Build fast and customizable admin panel with NestJS.
- Avneesh Agarwal: How to Create a PWA With Next.js
- Ivan Zadivar: Resources that every developer should know.
- Jonathan Irvin: Clean Conventional Commits
- Danielle Ellis: Basic Responsive Websites
- Gerald: Cool Projects to Help You Learn React JS - Part 1
- Ludal 🚀: React Custom Hooks: useBoolean
- Muthu Annamalai Venkatachalam: 10 Google Chrome Extensions you should use as a developer
- Michael Lin: How to make Web application support multiple browser windows
- Rizel Scarlett: Looking for an Open Source Project? Try Julia.
- Andrew Luca: 🧬 JSX at lowest level
- Creative Tim: Git Tutorial: How to Fix 18 Common Mistakes
- Aris Zagakos: Build a Restful CRUD API with Node.js
- Saji Wang: Set Up a Decentralized Database with React and GunDB
- Konnor Rogers: Frontend Bundler Braindump
- Enjeck C.: Google Search themed portfolio website
- Zoltán Szőgyényi: Building a Tailwind CSS dropdown component
- Nader Dabit: The Cloud is Your Development Environment
- menomanabdulla: How I maintain large-scale dataset in react
- Alejandro Martinez: How to detect images loaded in React
- Matti Bar-Zeev: Converting a React component to TypeScript
- The Nerdy Dev: What is a REST API ?
- Rupak Dey: 3 JS code snippets sites to use daily!
- Tim R.: 3 TypeScript Tricks I wish I knew when I learned TypeScript
- Vishwa Mittar: VIM - Beginners Guide
- Jordan Burroughs: Don't Use Create React App Until You Know This
- Salih Özdemir: Create a feedback admin panel in 15 minutes with refine and Strapi
- Sam Zhang: VueBlogger: A blogging site generator for Vue
- Rupak Dey: 3 Sites that make CSS easy!
- LordGhostX: Build and deploy a web app with Python, Flask, and Doppler
- Sam Magura: C# Linting and Formatting Tools in 2021
- Iain Freestone: 🚀10 Trending projects on GitHub for web developers - 8th October 2021
Trending This Week On Hacker News
- Things I’ve learned in my 20 years as a software engineer: https://www.simplethread.com/20-things-ive-learned-in-my-20-years-as-a-software-engineer/
- Facebook bans, sends C&D letter to developer of Unfollow Everything extension: https://www.techspot.com/news/91650-facebook-bans-sends-cease-desist-letter-developer-unfollow.html
- Apple requires account deletion within apps in AppStore starting January 31: https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=mdkbobfo
- EU court rules no EULA can forbid decompilation, if you want to fix a bug: https://curia.europa.eu/juris/document/document.jsf?text=&docid=247056&pageIndex=0&doclang=en&mode=req&dir=&occ=first&part=1&cid=6413406
- Mozilla to put ads in Firefox address bar suggestions: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/navigate-web-faster-firefox-suggest
- Facebook is nearing a reputational point of no return: https://www.economist.com/leaders/2021/10/09/facebook-is-nearing-a-reputational-point-of-no-return
- Moths in slow motion [video]: https://aeon.co/videos/witness-the-majesty-of-moths-taking-flight-at-6000-frames-per-second
- Facebook banned me for life because I help people use it less: https://slate.com/technology/2021/10/facebook-unfollow-everything-cease-desist.html
- The naughty username checking system used by Twitch: https://ghostbin.com/57bCm
- Twitch is hacked, and its source code leaked: https://kotaku.com/report-twitch-is-hacked-and-its-source-code-is-in-the-1847808252
- Bitcoin is a Ponzi: https://ic.unicamp.br/~stolfi/bitcoin/2020-12-31-bitcoin-ponzi.html
- European Parliament Calls for a Ban on Facial Recognition: https://www.politico.eu/article/european-parliament-ban-facial-recognition-brussels/
- Anyone Seen Tether’s Billions?: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2021-10-07/crypto-mystery-where-s-the-69-billion-backing-the-stablecoin-tether
- Lessons learned from sharding Postgres at Notion: https://www.notion.so/blog/sharding-postgres-at-notion
- Writing a “bare metal” operating system for Raspberry Pi 4: https://github.com/isometimes/rpi4-osdev
- Why I'm donating $150/month (10% of my income) to the musl Libc project (2019): https://andrewkelley.me/post/why-donating-to-musl-libc-project.html
- How the .NET Foundation kerfuffle became a brouhaha: https://robmensching.com/blog/posts/2021/10/6/how-the-.net-foundation-kerfuffle-became-a-brouhaha/
- Tesla’s headquarters will move to Austin: https://www.kxan.com/news/business/elon-musk-announces-teslas-headquarters-will-move-to-austin/
- Autonomous drone navigates independently through the forest at 40 km/h: https://www.media.uzh.ch/en/Press-Releases/2021/Drone-in-the-wild.html
- AWS S3? Cloudflare R2? We think we know what's coming next: https://object-storage-name-generator.com/
- Canyon.mid: https://canyonmid.com/
- Ireland joins OECD International Tax agreement: https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/59812-ireland-joins-oecd-international-tax-agreement/
- Cloudflare doesn’t have to cut off copyright-infringing websites, judge rules: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/10/cloudflare-doesnt-have-to-cut-off-copyright-infringing-websites-judge-rules/
- Quickemu: Quickly create and run optimised Win-10,11/macOS/Linux on Linux: https://github.com/wimpysworld/quickemu
- When Facebook went down this week, traffic to news sites went up: https://www.niemanlab.org/2021/10/when-facebook-went-down-this-week-traffic-to-news-sites-went-up/
- Will Cloudflare R2 Win Customers from Amazon S3?: https://www.taloflow.ai/blog/will-cloudflare-r2-win-customers-from-amazon-s3
- Pandora Papers: is the world’s biggest leak the world’s biggest cover-up?: https://www.michaelwest.com.au/pandora-papers-is-the-worlds-biggest-leak-the-worlds-biggest-cover-up/
- Dutch watchdog finds Apple App Store payment rules anti-competitive: https://www.reuters.com/technology/exclusive-dutch-watchdog-finds-apple-app-store-payment-rules-anti-competitive-2021-10-07/
- The Insane Innovation of TI Calculator Hobbyists: https://www.thirtythreeforty.net/posts/2021/10/ti-calculator-innovation/
- Crews are abandoned on ships in record numbers without pay, food or a way home: https://www.wsj.com/articles/crews-are-abandoned-on-ships-in-record-numbers-without-pay-food-or-a-way-home-11633699978
Developer Roundup is a weekly roundup blog. Stay tuned for more info on the project. Follow me on Twitter @dennisokeeffe92.
Subscribe to my personal newsletter to get updates on TheLastWeekIn.Dev + more! 🦄