TLWI Dev #62
Hello fellow readers! It's that time of the week again where we bring you the latest and greatest in the world of tech. This week, we have an exciting collection of links picked just for you. So, get ready to have some fun!
First up, we have an awesome link for all Firefox users out there. Have you heard of uBlock Origin? It's an ad-blocker that not only blocks pesky ads but also protects your privacy. If you're curious to know more about it, check out this article for a detailed review.
Next, we have something for all the Python enthusiasts. Are you interested in drawing pretty maps from OpenStreetMap data? Look no further! We have a set of small Python functions that does just that, with the help of osmnx, matplotlib, and shapely libraries. If this sounds interesting, check out this link.
Are you a coding wizard looking for a challenge? We have just the thing for you! How about coding a SaaS in just 30 days? Yes, you read that right. If you're up for the challenge, check out this link to get started.
Our next link is for all those who are interested in Microservices. If you're looking for some guidance on how to design, build, and deploy microservices, check out this Microservice Roadmap. We guarantee you'll find some valuable insights.
That's it for this week's newsletter. We hope you found these links exciting and informative. Until next time, happy reading!
Our Repo Picks
- benyaminahmed/nft-image-generator (Jupyter Notebook): undefined
- metaplex-foundation/metaplex (Rust): Protocol and application framework for decentralized NFT minting, storefronts, and sales.
- jina-ai/jina (Python): Cloud-native neural search framework for 𝙖𝙣𝙮 kind of data
- containers/podman (Go): Podman: A tool for managing OCI containers and pods.
- GTAmodding/re3 (C++): GTA III, Vice City
- solana-labs/solana (Rust): Web-Scale Blockchain for fast, secure, scalable, decentralized apps and marketplaces.
- coqui-ai/TTS (Jupyter Notebook): 🐸💬 - a deep learning toolkit for Text-to-Speech, battle-tested in research and production
- shenzhengfang/kkndme_tianya : 天涯 kkndme 神贴聊房价
- CorentinJ/Real-Time-Voice-Cloning (Python): Clone a voice in 5 seconds to generate arbitrary speech in real-time
- doocs/advanced-java (Java): 😮 Core Interview Questions & Answers For Experienced Java(Backend) Developers | 互联网 Java 工程师进阶知识完全扫盲：涵盖高并发、分布式、高可用、微服务、海量数据处理等领域知识
- topjohnwu/Magisk (C++): The Magic Mask for Android
- cli/cli (Go): GitHub’s official command line tool
- kunal-kushwaha/DSA-Bootcamp-Java (Java): This repository consists of the code samples, assignments, and the curriculum for the Community Classroom complete Data Structures & Algorithms Java bootcamp.
- nextcloud/server (PHP): ☁️ Nextcloud server, a safe home for all your data
- Rapptz/discord.py (Python): An API wrapper for Discord written in Python.
- marceloprates/prettymaps (Jupyter Notebook): A small set of Python functions to draw pretty maps from OpenStreetMap data. Based on osmnx, matplotlib and shapely libraries.
- mTvare6/hello-world.rs (Rust): 🚀Memory safe, blazing fast, configurable, minimal hello world written in rust(🚀) in a few lines of code with few(1091🚀) dependencies🚀
- EbookFoundation/free-programming-books : 📚 Freely available programming books
- TheAlgorithms/C-Plus-Plus (C++): Collection of various algorithms in mathematics, machine learning, computer science and physics implemented in C++ for educational purposes.
- input-output-hk/cardano-node (Haskell): The core component that is used to participate in a Cardano decentralised blockchain.
- danielmiessler/SecLists (PHP): SecLists is the security tester's companion. It's a collection of multiple types of lists used during security assessments, collected in one place. List types include usernames, passwords, URLs, sensitive data patterns, fuzzing payloads, web shells, and many more.
- DayBreak-u/chineseocr_lite (C++): 超轻量级中文 ocr，支持竖排文字识别, 支持 ncnn、mnn、tnn 推理 ( dbnet(1.8M) + crnn(2.5M) + anglenet(378KB)) 总模型仅 4.7M
Our Article Picks
- Alex: Clean Architecture on Frontend
- Lars Wächter: How I structure my React projects
- Chris Hansen: Great Beginner Friendly API's To Start Practicing Frontend Development 🧑💻
- Roden: 18 amazing 🤩 GitHub repositories that will help you 🪄 make a Beautiful Project
- Katsiaryna (Kate) Lupachova: Next.js, Material UI, MongoDB Personal Dashboard
- Majid Qafouri: Microservice Roadmap
- Akhil: React Practice Project for Beginner to Advance
- Tapajyoti Bose: Create React App from Scratch like a Pro
- Yogini Bende: Infinite scrolling in React with intersection observer
- Ali Spittel: A Complete Beginner's Guide to GraphQL
- Christopher Glikpo: Tips to become a great programmer
- Andrew Baisden: How to be successful as a self taught developer
- Christine Coomans: Let's Make a Pokémon Themed Note Keeping App in React!
- Iain Freestone: 🚀10 Trending projects on GitHub for web developers - 3rd September 2021
- Adrian Twarog: Coding a SaaS in 30 days
- Naim Latifi: ECMAScript 2021 (ES12) new features
- Simon Barker: MoSCoW: The Best Code Review Technique You're Not Using
- Roman Harmyder: VueUse as must-have library for Vue 3
- Rach Smith: How I keep up with the latest Front-End Development news, without scrolling my life away
- Stefan Wright: ES6 - A beginners guide - Welcome
- Ujjwal (UG THE SEP): Top 5 Websites to Learn Web Development
- Karl Castillo: Media Queries in JS
- InHuOfficial: How the 7 deadly sins 👿 will make you an Accessibility Expert! 😇
- Thomas Scott: 5 JetBrains plugins to upgrade the built-in Git support to the next level!
- Mohd Shahid: Notification API: Show notifications from your web app 🔔
- Modern Web: How to create Music player with pure HTML, CSS, JS
- Shahid Rizwan: Building custom hooks in React to fetch Data
- Eric The Coder: Your first Introduction to Django REST framework
- Ondiek Elijah: Connecting a React Frontend to a Flask backend.
- Dev By RayRay: When Use RxJS Subject, BehaviourSubject, ReplaySubject, AsyncSubject, or Void Subject in Angular
- Mads Stoumann: KAOSS! Fun with Web Audio
- Modern Web: Tile Navigation - How to make navbar for web page with HTML CSS and JS in 2021
- Andrew Baisden: The importance of a design system and why you should be using Storybook in all of your projects
- Derek Bingham ☘️: 10 Things I've learnt being an AWS Developer Advocate
- Modern Web: FullStack - How to create a working blogging website with pure HTML, CSS and JS in 2021 - 2
- swyx: 3 Reasons to Upgrade Git For The First Time Ever
- Bikash Mishra: Last minute guide to React.useEffect()
- Keff: I work hard in order to avoid work - My view on refactoring
- Itay Schechner: Using Modals In React.js, The Right Way (ZERO prop drilling)
- Wojtek Krzywiec: Automating quality checks for Kubernetes YAMLs
- themeselection: Top 10+ Open Source VueJS Admin Templates 2021🤩
Trending This Week On Hacker News
- O.mg Cable: https://shop.hak5.org/products/o-mg-cable-usb-a
- Apple Delays Rollout of Child Safety Features: https://www.macrumors.com/2021/09/03/apple-delaying-rollout-of-child-safety-features/
- Delays aren’t good enough – Apple must abandon its surveillance plans: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2021/09/delays-arent-good-enough-apple-must-abandon-its-surveillance-plans
- Google Chrome to remove detailed cookie and site data controls: https://lapcatsoftware.com/articles/chrome-cookie.html
- uBlock Origin review: https://addons.mozilla.org/blog/ublock-origin-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-ad-blocker/
- Linux on the Framework Laptop: https://frame.work/blog/linux-on-the-framework-laptop
- Lenovo tablet forced update shows un-dismissable, un-mutable, ad notifications: https://twitter.com/benkrasnow/status/1433096367992295427
- Web-based editor: https://docs.github.com/en/codespaces/developing-in-codespaces/web-based-editor
- How did American “wokeness” jump from elite schools to everyday life?: https://www.economist.com/briefing/2021/09/04/how-did-american-wokeness-jump-from-elite-schools-to-everyday-life
- The red warning light on Richard Branson’s space flight: https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-red-warning-light-on-richard-bransons-space-flight
- Amazon asked FCC to reject Starlink plan because it can’t compete, SpaceX says: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/09/spacex-slams-amazons-obstructionist-ploy-to-block-starlink-upgrade-plan/
- Use of artificial intelligence for image analysis in breast cancer screening: https://www.bmj.com/content/374/bmj.n1872
- Rejected internal job applicants are twice as likely to quit: https://news.cornell.edu/stories/2021/08/rejected-internal-applicants-twice-likely-quit
- Why can an ad break the Windows 11 desktop and taskbar?: https://www.ctrl.blog/entry/windows11-empty-taskbar.html
- GateBoy – A gate-level simulation of the original Game Boy hardware: https://github.com/aappleby/MetroBoy
- Mozilla VPN Completes Independent Security Audit by Cure53: https://blog.mozilla.org/en/mozilla/news/mozilla-vpn-completes-independent-security-audit-by-cure53/
- Experiments on a $50 DIY air purifier (2020): https://dynomight.net/2020/12/15/some-real-data-on-a-DIY-box-fan-air-purifier/
- Software Piracy and IP Management: Strategic Responses to Imitation: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3912074
- Ask HN: Who is hiring? (September 2021): https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=28380661
- UK ISP Sky feeds realtime customer bandwidth data to litigous anti-piracy firm: https://torrentfreak.com/sky-subscribers-piracy-habits-directly-help-premier-league-block-illegal-streams-210828/
- Opendesktop.org – Libre Cloud Services: https://www.opendesktop.org/
- OpenMoji: Open-source emojis: https://openmoji.org
- Operations is not Developer IT: https://matduggan.com/operations-is-not-developer-it/
- How I re–over-engineered my home network for privacy and security: https://ben.balter.com/2021/09/01/how-i-re-over-engineered-my-home-network/
- Old photos of Bedouin nomads, 1898: https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/old-spectacular-photos-of-bedouin-nomads-1898/
- Record €225m fine for WhatsApp Ireland over data protection breaches: http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0902/1244293-whatsapp-gdpr-ruling/
- Back Orifice (1998): https://web.archive.org/web/20180715070715/http://www.cultdeadcow.com/tools/bo.html
- Gift card gang extracts cash from 100k inboxes daily: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2021/09/gift-card-gang-extracts-cash-from-100k-inboxes-daily/
- How to Study Effectively: https://psyche.co/guides/how-research-from-psychology-can-help-you-study-effectively
- Migrating from Docker to Podman: https://marcusnoble.co.uk/2021-09-01-migrating-from-docker-to-podman
Developer Roundup is a weekly roundup blog. Stay tuned for more info on the project. Follow me on Twitter @dennisokeeffe92.
Subscribe to my personal newsletter to get updates on TheLastWeekIn.Dev + more! 🦄