TLWI Dev #61
Greetings, newsletter-lovers! It's time for another exciting edition of your favorite weekly read. We've scoured the internet for the best content to keep you both entertained and informed. And, we're proud to say, we've found some real gems this week!
First up, for all you developer out there, we have a list of 5 tools to automate your development. Say goodbye to the days of painstakingly coding away at each task. These tools will help you streamline your processes and get more done in less time, leaving you with more time to enjoy life (or work on your side projects!)
For those of you working with React or interested in learning more, we've got an informative piece on the power of custom hooks in React. Not only do we have an in-depth explanation of how custom hooks work, but we also have an awesome example of how they can be used for responsive design. You won't want to miss this one!
Are you interested in building a realtime app with NodeJS and ReactJS? Look no further than this tutorial on using Socket.io. With step-by-step instructions and real code examples, you'll be able to follow along and build your own realtime app in no time.
For anyone who's ever lost their work due to a computer crash or failed hard drive, we present to you 不知名大佬备份, which roughly translates to "Unknown Guru Backup". It's a comprehensive backup tool that saves all your files and documents in one place, giving you peace of mind that your important data is safe and secure.
Finally, for our gamers out there, we have something really special. Introducing Godot Engine – a multi-platform 2D and 3D game engine that makes it easy for anyone to create their own games. With intuitive drag-and-drop mechanics and a thriving community, you'll be making your own games in no time.
That's all for now, folks. We hope you enjoy this week's content and come back next week for even more exciting finds!
Our Repo Picks
- yt-dlp/yt-dlp (Python): A youtube-dl fork with additional features and fixes
- babysor/MockingBird (Python): 🚀AI 拟声: 5 秒内克隆您的声音并生成任意语音内容 Clone a voice in 5 seconds to generate arbitrary speech in real-time
- DIGITALCRIMINAL/OnlyFans (Python): Scrape all the media from an OnlyFans account - Updated regularly
- papers-we-love/papers-we-love (Shell): Papers from the computer science community to read and discuss.
- facebook/folly (C++): An open-source C++ library developed and used at Facebook.
- filebrowser/filebrowser (Go): 📂 Web File Browser
- cli/cli (Go): GitHub’s official command line tool
- RustPython/RustPython (Python): A Python Interpreter written in Rust
- praetorian-inc/gokart (Go): A static analysis tool for securing Go code
- TheAlgorithms/Python (Python): All Algorithms implemented in Python
- metaplex-foundation/metaplex (Rust): The Metaplex protocol
- dogecoin/dogecoin (C++): very currency
- MonitorControl/MonitorControl (Swift): 🖥 Control your external monitor brightness & volume on your Mac
- godotengine/godot (C++): Godot Engine – Multi-platform 2D and 3D game engine
- inancgumus/learngo (Go): 1000+ Hand-Crafted Go Examples, Exercises, and Quizzes
- input-output-hk/cardano-node (Haskell): The core component that is used to participate in a Cardano decentralised blockchain.
- ManimCommunity/manim (Python): A community-maintained Python framework for creating mathematical animations.
- apache/arrow-datafusion (Rust): Apache Arrow DataFusion and Ballista query engines
- go-gitea/gitea (Go): Git with a cup of tea, painless self-hosted git service
- GoogleContainerTools/distroless (Starlark): 🥑 Language focused docker images, minus the operating system.
- dotnetcore/FastGithub (C#): github 加速神器，解决 github 打不开、用户头像无法加载、releases 无法上传下载、git-clone、git-pull、git-push 失败等问题
Our Article Picks
- Tapajyoti Bose: Zero to Hero: Front End Developer Roadmap
- Cássio Cappellari: Basic Concepts of Node.js
- Omar Diaaeldine Elwakeel: How to make realtime APIs with NodeJS and ReactJS using Socket.io
- Aashish Panthi: All free resources for developers at one place
- Modern Web: How to make instagram clone using HTML, CSS. Fully responsive.
- Aashish Panthi: Developers - Free learning resources & get certified
- Domagoj Vidovic: All CSS Properties You Need to Know to Build a Website
- Anurag Hazra: My FrontEnd Interview Experience At Razorpay
- Alex Omeyer: 7 VS Code Extensions for Frontend Developers
- Shantanu Jana: Animated Skills Bar using HTML and CSS
- Carmine Scarpitta: 6 CSS Shorthand properties to improve your web application
- Atul Bhatt: 5 Things to do before making the build for Production. (React JS)
- Matan Levi: The power of custom hooks in React (responsive design example)
- Alex Devero: 4 Important Differences Between Regular And Arrow Functions
- Silvia España Gil: How to create a Scroll to Top Button with React
- Patrick Waweru: I made an App Store
- Andrew Baisden: 8 reasons why having a blog is as important as having a GitHub
- Chetan Atrawalkar👉CA.: 🔵 CSS Responsive Sidebar Navigation.
- Suhail Kakar: Building a Restful CRUD API with Node JS, Express, and MongoDB
- Modern Web: How to create fully responsive product card using pure HTML, CSS.
- Andrew Baisden: Why you should become a Full-Stack Developer
- Jonathan Carter: 10 Fun Things You Can Do With GitHub.dev 😎
- Andrew Schmelyun: Why you should be using Vue's new Composition API
- Saji Wang: Getting Started with CSS Animations
- Aurélie Vache: Learning Go by examples: part 7 - Create a cross-platform GUI/Desktop app in Go
- martiliones: How I got Linus Torvalds in my contributors on GitHub
- Suhail Kakar: Remove all console.log() from your project in less than a minute
- Alvaro Montoro: Typewriter Effect with CSS
- Petar Garžina: 5 tools to automate your development
- Fadi Khadra: React-toastify v8 is live
- Laurie: Interviews are about telling a story
- Imia Hazel: 8 Fundamental Principles of Effective Web Design
- Mrinalini Sugosh (Mrina): Docker Cheatsheet
- Temani Afif: Exploring the CSS Paint API: Image Fragmentation Effect
- Kars van Iersel: Why every developer should be using TDD
- Emmanuel Chinonye Nnajiofor: React-query series Part 3: Data fetching with the useQuery hook.
- Nilanth: Build a Portfolio Using Next.js, Tailwind, and Vercel with Dark Mode Support
- Avneesh Agarwal: How to add router progress bar in Next.js with one line of code 🤯
- Davide 'CoderDave' Benvegnù: GitHub Web Editor: FREE VSCode in the browser
- varunprashar5: Don't overoptimize your React App
- Abhiraj Bhowmick: Free Resources for Developers
- Shubham Khatri: 15 Useful VSCode shortcuts to improve your coding speed
- Kevin Pennekamp: Demystifying state management
- Nader Dabit: The New Creator Economy - DAOs, Community Ownership, and Cryptoeconomics
Trending This Week On Hacker News
- Arm China Has Gone Rogue: https://semianalysis.substack.com/p/the-semiconductor-heist-of-the-century
- Burning out and quitting: https://mayakaczorowski.com/blogs/burnout
- The All-Seeing “i”: Apple Just Declared War on Your Privacy: https://edwardsnowden.substack.com/p/all-seeing-i
- Yt-dlp – A YouTube-dl fork with additional features and fixes: https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp
- Apple agrees to settle potential class action suit by U.S. developers: https://www.axios.com/apple-settles-developer-class-action-c13bb308-daf3-4231-a399-ffd48b6b2c52.html
- I switched from macOS to Linux after 15 years of Apple: https://markosaric.com/linux/
- TSMC hikes chip prices up to 20% amid supply shortage: https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Tech/Semiconductors/TSMC-hikes-chip-prices-up-to-20-amid-supply-shortage
- The real OnlyFans scandal is the unaccountable power of platforms and banks: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/aug/28/onlyfans-scandal-platforms-banks-ban-sexual-content-sex-workers
- Canistilluse.com: https://blog.jim-nielsen.com/2021/canistilluse.com/
- Show HN: With a 9-5 job and 2 kids I have finally finished my first MVP: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=28320346
- The Future of discord.py: https://gist.github.com/Rapptz/4a2f62751b9600a31a0d3c78100287f1
- Joe Rogan, confined to Spotify, is losing influence: https://www.theverge.com/22632213/joe-rogan-experience-spotify-exclusive-audience-reach
- Iced: A cross-platform GUI library for Rust, inspired by Elm: https://github.com/hecrj/iced/
- Linux in a Pixel Shader – A RISC-V Emulator for VRChat: https://blog.pimaker.at/texts/rvc1/
- I hacked an office telephone to play Doom: https://neilbostian.github.io/#/doomphone
- Work Hard (2007): https://terrytao.wordpress.com/career-advice/work-hard/
- Weird Languages: http://paulgraham.com/weird.html
- FB messenger silently censoring links, claims they were sent: https://twitter.com/kylejohnmorris/status/1431714982782066688
- Silent changes to Western Digital’s budget SSD may lower speeds by up to 50%: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/08/silent-changes-to-western-digitals-budget-ssd-may-lower-speeds-by-up-to-50/
- Show HN: I made a meme creator that makes around $4k a month: https://metameme.app/
- Chinese authorities say overtime '996' policy is illegal: https://www.reuters.com/world/china/chinese-authorities-say-overtime-996-policy-is-illegal-2021-08-27/
- Sailfish 4: https://sailfishos.org/
- We Hire Old People: https://relevantdb.com/careers.html
- Almost all of the top subreddits are moderated by the same people: https://www.reddit.com/r/ThatsInsane/comments/pbloje/almost_all_of_the_top_subreddits_are_moderated_by/
- Valneva and Pfizer announce Phase 2 study for Lyme disease vaccine candidate: https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/valneva-and-pfizer-announce-initiation-phase-2-study-lyme
- Google to pay Apple $15B to remain default Safari search engine in 2021: https://9to5mac.com/2021/08/25/analysts-google-to-pay-apple-15-billion-to-remain-default-safari-search-engine-in-2021/
- Launch HN: Hotswap (YC S21) – Easily migrate customers away from competitors: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=28327660
- Show HN: 59a34eabe31910abfb06f308 – NeuralHash Collision Demo: https://thishashcollisionisnotporn.com
- Why are hyperlinks blue?: https://blog.mozilla.org/en/internet-culture/deep-dives/why-are-hyperlinks-blue/
- Ansible Techniques I Wish I’d Known Earlier: https://zwischenzugs.com/2021/08/27/five-ansible-techniques-i-wish-id-known-earlier/
Developer Roundup is a weekly roundup blog. Stay tuned for more info on the project. Follow me on Twitter @dennisokeeffe92.
Subscribe to my personal newsletter to get updates on TheLastWeekIn.Dev + more! 🦄