TLWI Dev #60
Greetings, lovely readers! Here we are again, ready to share another dose of exciting news and updates with you. This week, we have some thrilling resources to share, including Web File Browser, a powerful tool that makes it easy to navigate and manage files on the web.
In recent Twitter news, our favorite tech guru @oilyraincloud dropped a fantastic thread on the benefits of using web components in your development projects. If you're looking for a fresh perspective on how to improve your workflow, this thread is an excellent place to start.
Have you ever heard of Hacker News? It's a community-generated tech news feed filled with breaking stories, opinions, and discussions. Whether you are a tech enthusiast or industry insider, Hacker News is the perfect place to stay up to date on the latest developments.
On the development front, we have some fantastic APIs to share that will help you take your next project to the next level. Check out these 5 APIs that will provide you with all the tools necessary to tackle your next project with confidence.
Last but not least, this article showcases 14 fantastic functions created by an experienced developer to reduce their Lodash bundle size. If you are looking for some inspiration or new ideas, check out this article and take your code to the next level.
That's all for this week, folks! Stay tuned for our next update, and don't forget to keep learning and growing. Until next time!
Our Repo Picks
- NvChad/NvChad (Lua): An attempt to make neovim cli as functional as an IDE while being very beautiful , blazing fast.
- spring-projects/spring-authorization-server (Java): A community-driven project led by the Spring Security team and is focused on delivering Authorization Server support to the Spring community
- Qv2ray/Qv2ray (C++): ⭐ Linux / Windows / macOS 跨平台 V2Ray 客户端 | 支持 VMess / VLESS / SSR / Trojan / Trojan-Go / NaiveProxy / HTTP / HTTPS / SOCKS5 | 使用 C++ / Qt 开发 | 可拓展插件式设计 ⭐
- SerenityOS/serenity (C++): The Serenity Operating System 🐞
- zxbu/webdav-aliyundriver (Java): 阿里云盘(https://www.aliyundrive.com/) 的 webdav 协议开源实现
- tauri-apps/tauri (Rust): Build smaller, faster, and more secure desktop applications with a web frontend.
- PowerShell/PowerShell (C#): PowerShell for every system!
- freqtrade/freqtrade (Python): Free, open source crypto trading bot
- Letscoder/PlayCover : PlayCover is a project that allows you to sideload iOS apps on macOS (currently arm, Intel support will be tested)
- megaease/easegress (Go): A Cloud Native traffic orchestration system
- black7375/Firefox-UI-Fix (CSS): 🦊 I respect proton UI and aim to improve it.
- helix-editor/helix (Rust): A post-modern modal text editor.
- fuzhengwei/small-spring (Java): 🌱《 Spring 手撸专栏》，本专栏以 Spring 源码学习为目的，通过手写简化版 Spring 框架，了解 Spring 核心原理。在手写的过程中会简化 Spring 源码，摘取整体框架中的核心逻辑，简化代码实现过程，保留核心功能，例如：IOC、AOP、Bean 生命周期、上下文、作用域、资源处理等内容实现。
- filebrowser/filebrowser (Go): 📂 Web File Browser
- kon9chunkit/GitHub-Chinese-Top-Charts (Java): 🇨🇳 GitHub 中文排行榜，帮助你发现高分优秀中文项目、更高效地吸收国人的优秀经验成果；榜单每周更新一次，敬请关注！
- google-research/google-research (Jupyter Notebook): Google Research
- dotnet/aspnetcore (C#): ASP.NET Core is a cross-platform .NET framework for building modern cloud-based web applications on Windows, Mac, or Linux.
- tronprotocol/java-tron (Java): Java implementation of the Tron whitepaper
- meilisearch/MeiliSearch (Rust): Powerful, fast, and an easy to use search engine
- dotnetcore/FastGithub (C#): github 加速神器，解决 github 打不开、用户头像无法加载、releases 无法上传下载、git-clone、git-pull、git-push 失败等问题
- stenzek/duckstation (C++): Fast PlayStation 1 emulator for PC and Android
Our Article Picks
- Nilanth: No More ../../../ Import in React
- Modern Web: How to create Music player with pure HTML, CSS, JS
- Suhail Shaikh: ReactJs Roadmap🗺 for beginners - 2021
- Simon Barker: Skills required to be a full stack developer: a checklist
- Trung Hieu Nguyen: You don't know useEffect
- Modern Web: How to create Disney plus clone with pure HTML, CSS, JS
- Itay Schechner: Using Forms In React.js, The Right Way (no library needed)
- Suhail Kakar: Stop Using ../../../ While Importing Components, Instead Use This Method
- Jeff Edmondson: How I built and Published My First React Native App (Daily Discomfort)
- Ankur Tyagi: Top 9 Lessons learned in 12 years as a software developer.
- Mwenda Harun Mbaabu: DevOps 101 : Introduction to Ansible
- Chris Hansen: No Fuss Dark-Mode Toggle with React & Styled-Components! 🌞↔️🌖
- Sankalp Swami: Git Essentials
- Modern Web: How to make fully responsive modern portfolio using pure HTML, CSS and JS.
- Palash Mondal: 6 Awesome CSS Layout Generators
- Ella Ang (she/her/elle): How to write a high quality post on DEV
- Mike Talbot: 14 functions I made to dump lodash and reduce my bundle size...
- Pasca Vlad: 10 Free Public APIs for developers you need to use for your next projects
- Anatolii: Awesome VS Code setup
- Tamerlan Gudabayev: Project Ideas to Make You a Better Developer
- Veed - The Hood Developer: Diamond Card Layout with CSS
- Ritesh Kumar: Authentication in Node.js with MongoDB, bcrypt, and JWT web Tokens with cookies 🍪.
- Roden: How create Glitch Effect 🤖 Pure CSS
- dev.to staff: You Can Now Register for CodeLand 2021 & View the Speaker Lineup 🌈
- Leonardo Bravo: Create a voice recorder with React
- Stas Melnikov: The cheat sheet about how display: flex and display: grid works
- Iain Freestone: 🚀10 Trending projects on GitHub for web developers - 20th August 2021
- Dekel: Last Week I Wrote Some jQuery (and no one fired me 🤓)
- Nilanth: 10 React Packages with 1K UI Components
- kubona Martin Yafesi: Docker 101!
- Mike Levan: Top 5 DevOps trends for 2022
- Vishwa.R: Is it time to let go of Bootstrap?
- Sammy Shear: Building the Same App 5 Times
- Saji Wang: Could Blitz.js be the next big JS framework?
- Suraj Vishwakarma: 5 APIs to Develop Your Next Project
- Suhail Kakar: How To Use Google Like A Pro
- Felix Jordan: Hands on Web Share API
- Garima: The Ultimate Guide to Web Scraping with Node.js
- Salah Elhossiny: Implementing Domain Driven Design: Part III
- Ben Halpern: The Developer Feedback You Are Actually Getting is Survivorship Bias
- Chris Bongers: You don't need --save anymore for NPM installs
- Vikram Sahu: WebSockets: A Conceptual Overview
Trending This Week On Hacker News
- OnlyFans to block sexually explicit videos starting in October: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-08-19/onlyfans-to-block-sexually-explicit-videos-starting-in-october
- Facebook hacker beat my 2FA, bricked my Oculus, and hit the company credit card: https://codewriteplay.com/2021/08/20/a-facebook-hacker-beat-my-2fa-bricked-my-oculus-quest-and-hit-the-company-credit-card/
- ImageNet contains naturally occurring Apple NeuralHash collisions: https://blog.roboflow.com/nerualhash-collision/
- Apple explicitly asks employees to merge their personal and work accounts: https://twitter.com/oilyraincloud/status/1428497203253833731
- Another free CA as an alternative to Let's Encrypt: https://scotthelme.co.uk/heres-another-free-ca-as-an-alternative-to-lets-encrypt/
- Show HN: Neural-hash-collider – Find target hash collisions for NeuralHash: https://github.com/anishathalye/neural-hash-collider
- Google's Secret Initiative – “Project Hug”: https://twitter.com/jowens510/status/1428415192480698371
- Why wild foxes led you to treasure in Skyrim: https://twitter.com/joelburgess/status/1428008043556622336
- Ask HN: What's the most life-changing blog post you've ever read?: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=28232165
- Chip shortage: Toyota to cut global production by 40%: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-58266794
- Manim: An animation engine for explanatory math videos: https://github.com/ManimCommunity/manim
- Patterns in Confusing Explanations: https://jvns.ca/blog/confusing-explanations/
- EFF Joins Global Coalition Asking Apple CEO Tim Cook to Stop Phone-Scanning: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2021/08/eff-joins-global-coalition-asking-apple-ceo-tim-cook-stop-phone-scanning
- The Polar Bear – Open-Source, Multipurpose CNC Machine with a Rotary Axis: https://www.kadirilkimen.com/thepolarbear/
- A lot of people are getting the OnlyFans story wrong: https://twitter.com/postcultrev/status/1428584131835748359
- FTC files new antitrust complaint against Facebook: https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2021/08/ftc-alleges-facebook-resorted-illegal-buy-or-bury-scheme-crush
- Harbormaster: Anti-Kubernetes for your personal server: https://gitlab.com/stavros/harbormaster
- Gmail is opening and caching URLs within emails without user intervention (2019): https://support.google.com/mail/thread/16878288/gmail-is-opening-and-caching-urls-within-emails-without-user-intervention-how-and-why?hl=en
- I Don’t Want to Be Like a Family with My Co-Workers: https://www.thecut.com/article/i-dont-want-to-be-like-a-family-with-my-co-workers.html
- The thing standing between procrastination and daily progress is ritual: https://forge.medium.com/the-thing-standing-between-procrastination-and-daily-progress-is-ritual-2823d97ffa47
- Urban Dictionary on Hacker News (2013): https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hacker%20news
- Princeton Researchers Who Built a CSAM Scanning System Urge Apple to Not Use It: https://www.macrumors.com/2021/08/20/university-researchers-csam-dangerous/
- Court rules California's Prop. 22 on Uber, Lyft drivers unconstitutional: https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article253647838.html
- An Opinionated Guide to Xargs: https://www.oilshell.org/blog/2021/08/xargs.html
- Roblox faces criticism for 'exploiting' young game developers: https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/387113/Roblox_faces_criticism_for_exploiting_young_game_developers.php
- Policy groups ask Apple to drop plans to inspect messages, scan for abuse images: https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-apple-privacy/exclusive-policy-groups-ask-apple-to-drop-plans-to-inspect-imessages-scan-for-abuse-images-idUSKBN2FK09P
- What is ‘elite overproduction’?: https://www.overcomingbias.com/2021/08/what-is-elite-overproduction.html
- A collection of free/public APIs you can use to build stuff: https://github.com/public-apis/public-apis
- Google’s ‘Project Hug’ paid out huge sums to keep game devs in the Play Store: https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/19/22632818/google-project-hug-game-developers-play-store-millions-epic-lawsuit-complaint
- FFmpeg for browser and Node, powered by WebAssembly: https://ffmpegwasm.netlify.app/
Developer Roundup is a weekly roundup blog. Stay tuned for more info on the project. Follow me on Twitter @dennisokeeffe92.
Subscribe to my personal newsletter to get updates on TheLastWeekIn.Dev + more! 🦄