TLWI Developer Weekly #59
Greetings, fellow tech buffs! Welcome to this week's edition of our newsletter. Are you ready to dive right into some exciting tech updates and fun finds? We've got a fantastic lineup for you, starting with Bug Smash is Back — Join In! 🐛. Yes, you heard that right! It's time once again to brush up on those testing skills and squash some bugs. Here's your chance to join fellow techies in working towards bug-free software. Come on, let's make some magic happen!
Next up, we have an amazing resource for you. Have you heard of mosh.org? It's a free and open-source tool that allows remote access to your command-line interface. With its smart features and cross-platform compatibility, it's an excellent replacement for SSH. Trust us, it's worth checking out!
And now to everyone's favourite topic - coding! We all know how important it is to write clean code. But how exactly do you go about it? Fear not, dear readers! Our next read, 5 Tips to Master the Art of Clean Code, is just what you need. With practical tips on naming conventions, commenting, and more, this article is sure to be a game-changer for your coding practices.
In our extensive research for the latest and greatest tech updates, we stumbled upon some fantastic news! The beautiful land of Costa Rica has recently signed a new law to attract digital nomads. Say hello to sunny beaches, lush forests, and an endless supply of gallo pinto. Check out their official announcement at ticotimes.net and start planning your next workation!
Lastly, we can't finish this newsletter without highlighting something cool and creative. Check out these 100 underline/overlay animations | The impressive CSS collection ⭐️ for a dose of inspiration. With a wide range of effects and stylings, it's sure to add some pizazz to your website or app.
And that concludes our fantastic tech-filled newsletter for the week. We hope you enjoyed it and found some new resources to add to your arsenal. Until next time, happy coding! 🚀
Our Repo Picks
- willmcgugan/textual (Python): Textual is a TUI (Text User Interface) framework for Python inspired by modern web development.
- badtuxx/DescomplicandoDocker (HTML): Descomplicando o Docker, o livro.
- kingoflolz/mesh-transformer-jax (Python): Model parallel transformers in JAX and Haiku
- tmrts/go-patterns (Go): Curated list of Go design patterns, recipes and idioms
- JetBrains/compose-jb (Kotlin): Jetpack Compose for Desktop and Web, a modern UI framework for Kotlin that makes building performant and beautiful user interfaces easy and enjoyable.
- Azure/azure-sdk-for-net (C#): This repository is for active development of the Azure SDK for .NET. For consumers of the SDK we recommend visiting our public developer docs at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/azure/ or our versioned developer docs at https://azure.github.io/azure-sdk-for-net.
- protocolbuffers/protobuf (C++): Protocol Buffers - Google's data interchange format
- brettwooldridge/HikariCP (Java): 光 HikariCP・A solid, high-performance, JDBC connection pool at last.
- commaai/openpilot (C++): openpilot is an open source driver assistance system. openpilot performs the functions of Automated Lane Centering and Adaptive Cruise Control for over 100 supported car makes and models.
- public-apis/public-apis (Python): A collective list of free APIs
- geekxh/hello-algorithm (Java): 🌍 针对小白的算法训练 | 包括四部分：①.算法基础 ②.力扣图解 ③.大厂面经 ④.CS_汇总 | 附：1、千本开源电子书 2、百张技术思维导图（项目花了上百小时，希望可以点 star 支持，🌹 感谢~）
- datafuselabs/datafuse (Rust): An elastic and scalable Cloud Warehouse, offers Blazing Fast Query and combines Elasticity, Simplicity, Low cost of the Cloud, built to make the Data Cloud easy
- 3b1b/manim (Python): Animation engine for explanatory math videos
- kawalcovid19/wargabantuwarga.com (TypeScript): Inisiatif warga untuk berbagi informasi seputar fasilitas kesehatan dan alat kesehatan untuk COVID-19.
- chrislusf/seaweedfs (Go): SeaweedFS is a fast distributed storage system for blobs, objects, files, and data lake, for billions of files! Blob store has O(1) disk seek, local tiering, cloud tiering. Filer supports cross-cluster active-active replication, Kubernetes, POSIX, S3 API, encryption, Erasure Coding for warm storage, FUSE mount, Hadoop, WebDAV, mount cloud storage.
- ansible/ansible (Python): Ansible is a radically simple IT automation platform that makes your applications and systems easier to deploy and maintain. Automate everything from code deployment to network configuration to cloud management, in a language that approaches plain English, using SSH, with no agents to install on remote systems. https://docs.ansible.com.
- ethereum-mining/ethminer (C++): Ethereum miner with OpenCL, CUDA and stratum support
- dotnet/maui (C#): .NET MAUI is the .NET Multi-platform App UI, a framework for building native device applications spanning mobile, tablet, and desktop.
- google/accompanist (Kotlin): A collection of extension libraries for Jetpack Compose
- cilium/cilium (Go): eBPF-based Networking, Security, and Observability
- bevyengine/bevy (Rust): A refreshingly simple data-driven game engine built in Rust
- esp8266/Arduino (C++): ESP8266 core for Arduino
- yifeikong/reverse-interview-zh : 技术面试最后反问面试官的话
Our Article Picks
- Temani Afif: Adding 100 underline/overlay animations | The impressive CSS collection ⭐️
- Rich Harris: Stay alert
- KR Tirtho: Reactjs | Perfect tools for the perfect use cases🛠️💥
- Nikolina Ljubičić: The ultimate guide for junior frontend developers
- Carlo Morrone: The Best VS Code Extensions For Remote Working
- Francisco Mendes: How to Create a Search Bar in React
- Modern Web: FullStack - How to create a working blogging website with pure HTML, CSS and JS in 2021.
- Modern Web: Node App: How to create netflix clone. Netflix clone with HTML,CSS, JS.
- Hari Haren: 20+ React Tools to Help You Become a More Productive Programmer
- kpiteng: Microfrontends With React
- KR Tirtho: Nestjs🐺⚡ | The framework of Nodejs (Part-1)
- Nilanth: How to Create Public And Private Routes using React Router
- Eugene Kopich: Vue 3.2 Released!
- Riddhi Agrawal: Create React App without create-react-app !
- Natalie Taktachev: Final React Project
- kasukur: My AWS Solution Architect Associate study guide
- Iain Freestone: 🚀10 Trending projects on GitHub for web developers - 13th August 2021
- Menard Maranan: Converting static HTML/CSS site to React App
- jobpick.in: Frontend Development 2021
- Ponikar: Introduction to WebRTC
- Christina Gorton: Bug Smash is Back — Join In! 🐛
- Dekel: Let’s Talk About Juniors
- Siddharth Venkatesh: Lazy loading react components with dynamic imports and intersection observer
- Tapajyoti Bose: 5 Tips to Master the Art of Clean Code
- Tien Nguyen: Node.js CRUD Operation with MySQL example
- Anatolii: Best Redux Architecture
- Naveenchandar: npm commands every developer should know
- Salah Elhossiny: Implementing Domain Driven Design: Part I
- Tyler Hawkins: What I Look for When Hiring Senior Software Engineers
- Eric The Coder: Ultimate Vue.js (2021) Cheat Sheet
- Samar Mohan: Structuring a Node.js and Express Backend
- Parnika-Gupta: Understand One-way Data Binding in React the easy way!
- Akshay R: Learn CSS by Playing Games - No Nightmares
- Stas Melnikov: 6 HTML and CSS Good Coding Habits
- Lucas Neves Pereira: Build a desktop app with Wails & Vue
- Mads Stoumann: The Frontend Agency
- Nitzan Hen: Meet Agrippa, the React CLI for component generation
- Jakub Jabłoński: Functional vs Object Oriented vs Procedural programming
- Mike Talbot: React Virtual Window - virtualise anything for a performance boost!
- Nditah: How To Build a REST API with Node.js, Prisma ORM, PostgreSQL Database, and Docker.
- Aurélie Vache: Learning Go by examples: part 5 - Create a Game Boy Advance (GBA) game in Go
- Siddharth: Implementing Reactivity from scratch
- TechSnack - Technology Tutorials: Pure CSS Flex Box Responsive Design - No Media Queries
Trending This Week On Hacker News
- Apple's child protection features spark concern within its own ranks: sources: https://www.reuters.com/technology/exclusive-apples-child-protection-features-spark-concern-within-its-own-ranks-2021-08-12/
- A future for SQL on the web: https://jlongster.com/future-sql-web
- FOSS app removed from the Play Store for linking to the project's website: https://github.com/language-transfer/lt-app/pull/44
- The deceptive PR behind Apple’s “expanded protections for children”: https://piotr.is/2021/08/12/apple-csam/
- Apple Has Opened the Backdoor to Increased Surveillance and Censorship: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2021/08/if-you-build-it-they-will-come-apple-has-opened-backdoor-increased-surveillance
- Internet of Snitches: https://puri.sm/posts/internet-of-snitches/
- Fishdraw: Procedurally Generated Fish Drawings: https://fishdraw.glitch.me/
- 1Password 8 will be subscription only and won’t support local vaults: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/601917/#Comment_601917
- Apple Regrets Confusion over 'iPhone Scanning': https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-58206543
- ZeroVer: 0-Based Versioning: https://0ver.org/
- Asahi Linux for Apple M1 progress report, August 2021: https://asahilinux.org/2021/08/progress-report-august-2021/
- Debian 11: https://www.debian.org/releases/bullseye/amd64/release-notes/
- Abandoned Motorola Headquarters (2020): https://www.abandonedspaces.com/industry/motorola.html
- Mosh: The Mobile Shell: https://mosh.org
- Git password authentication is shutting down: https://github.blog/changelog/2021-08-12-git-password-authentication-is-shutting-down/
- Open-source Dropbox client, with multi-account, no-device-limit and M1 support: https://github.com/SamSchott/maestral
- Life Improvements Since the 1990s: https://www.gwern.net/Improvements
- Dad makes teddies with health conditions to help children with medical disorders: https://inews.co.uk/news/real-life/this-leeds-dad-makes-teddies-with-health-conditions-to-help-children-living-with-medical-disorders-1148392
- Co-founder of Snopes was writing plagiarized articles under a fake name: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/deansterlingjones/snopes-cofounder-plagiarism-mikkelson
- It’s official: July was Earth’s hottest month on record: https://www.noaa.gov/news/its-official-july-2021-was-earths-hottest-month-on-record
- Second IC: http://sam.zeloof.xyz/second-ic/
- Illinois Is the First State to Have High Schools Teach News Literacy: https://www.npr.org/2021/08/12/1026993142/illinois-is-the-first-state-to-have-high-schools-teach-news-literacy
- Egui: An easy-to-use immediate mode GUI: https://github.com/emilk/egui
- For programmers, remote working is becoming the norm: https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2021/08/11/for-programmers-remote-working-is-becoming-the-norm
- Interactive Linear Algebra (2019): http://textbooks.math.gatech.edu/ila/index.html
- Thunderbird 91.0: https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/91.0/releasenotes/
- Closing 45% of the open Emacs bugs: https://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/2021/08/14/10x10/
- Costa Rica signs law to attract digital nomads: https://ticotimes.net/2021/08/11/costa-rica-signs-law-to-attract-digital-nomads
- Security Threat Model Review of the Apple Child Safety Features [pdf]: https://www.apple.com/child-safety/pdf/Security_Threat_Model_Review_of_Apple_Child_Safety_Features.pdf
- Typography in Alien (2014): https://typesetinthefuture.com/2014/12/01/alien/
Developer Roundup is a weekly roundup blog. Stay tuned for more info on the project. Follow me on Twitter @dennisokeeffe92.
Subscribe to my personal newsletter to get updates on TheLastWeekIn.Dev + more! 🦄