TLWI Developer Weekly #58
Hello and welcome back to our weekly newsletter, where we bring you the latest and greatest in the world of technology and web development. This week, we have some fantastic resources lined up for you, so buckle up and get ready to dive in!
First up, for all you coding enthusiasts out there, we've got a great find - a community maintained clone of the popular JWT-GO library. If you're not sure what JWT is or how to use it, don't worry, we've got you covered.
Next, for those seeking to boost their CSS game, we've got a complete introduction to CSS grid waiting for you. This guide offers a comprehensive overview of everything you need to know to get started with CSS grid and use it to create stunning layouts for your web pages.
For all our front-end developers, we've got some invaluable UX tips to share with you. Check out our list of 5 UX tips that will help you become a better developer, ensuring that the user remains at the heart of everything you create.
We know how important it is to have the right tools, so we've curated a list of 10 VS Code extensions every front-end developer should use. From debugging to code formatting, these extensions will help you get more done in less time and make a massive difference to your workflow.
That's all folks - we hope these resources help you on your journey towards becoming better developers. Keep learning and stay curious!
Our Repo Picks
- dataease/dataease (Java): 人人可用的开源数据可视化分析工具。
- mitmproxy/mitmproxy (Python): An interactive TLS-capable intercepting HTTP proxy for penetration testers and software developers.
- commaai/openpilot (C++): openpilot is an open source driver assistance system. openpilot performs the functions of Automated Lane Centering and Adaptive Cruise Control for over 100 supported car makes and models.
- doocs/jvm (Java): 🤗 JVM 底层原理最全知识总结
- SJang1/korea-covid-19-remaining-vaccine-macro (Python): 잔여백신 조회 및 예약 매크로
- apple/swift-algorithms (Swift): Commonly used sequence and collection algorithms for Swift
- ibraheemdev/modern-unix : A collection of modern/faster/saner alternatives to common unix commands.
- fuzhengwei/small-spring (Java): 🌱《 Spring 手撸专栏》，本专栏以 Spring 源码学习为目的，通过手写简化版 Spring 框架，了解 Spring 核心原理。在手写的过程中会简化 Spring 源码，摘取整体框架中的核心逻辑，简化代码实现过程，保留核心功能，例如：IOC、AOP、Bean 生命周期、上下文、作用域、资源处理等内容实现。
- geekxh/hello-algorithm (Java): 🌍 针对小白的算法训练 | 包括四部分：①.算法基础 ②.力扣图解 ③.大厂面经 ④.CS_汇总 | 附：1、千本开源电子书 2、百张技术思维导图（项目花了上百小时，希望可以点 star 支持，🌹 感谢~）
- deepmind/deepmind-research (Jupyter Notebook): This repository contains implementations and illustrative code to accompany DeepMind publications
- myspaghetti/macos-virtualbox (Shell): Push-button installer of macOS Catalina, Mojave, and High Sierra guests in Virtualbox for Windows, Linux, and macOS
- Anuken/Mindustry (Java): A sandbox tower defense game
- JetBrains/compose-jb (Kotlin): Jetpack Compose for Desktop and Web, a modern UI framework for Kotlin that makes building performant and beautiful user interfaces easy and enjoyable.
- google/googletest (C++): GoogleTest - Google Testing and Mocking Framework
- kubernetes/kompose (Go): Go from Docker Compose to Kubernetes
- golang-jwt/jwt (Go): Community maintained clone of https://github.com/dgrijalva/jwt-go
- telegramdesktop/tdesktop (C++): Telegram Desktop messaging app
- donnemartin/system-design-primer (Python): Learn how to design large-scale systems. Prep for the system design interview. Includes Anki flashcards.
- cloudreve/Cloudreve (Go): 🌩 支持多家云存储的云盘系统 (A project helps you build your own cloud in minutes)
Our Article Picks
- Madza: 8 Projects to Build to Master Your Front-End Skills 🥇🏆
- KUMAR HARSH: Complete Introduction to CSS Grid 📊
- Ali Spittel: Build a React App with Authorization and Authentication
- Programming with Shahan: 4 Skills to Become a Front-end Developer in 6 Months (Road-map)
- KR Tirtho: Make VSCode lighter🪶
- Itay Schechner: Using the React Context API, the right way (a time saver)
- lary mak: Developer Communities Every Developer should Join According to your niche.
- Jordan Brennan: Really, why React?
- Luca Restagno: How we built a SaaS with React and AWS
- Djamaile: How I structure my React /TS applications (2021)
- Andrew: How To Enable Real-Time Merge Conflict Detection in VS Code
- Chetan Atrawalkar👉CA.: ✨25+ Top React UI Component Library 
- Benjamin Delespierre: How to implement Clean Architecture with Laravel
- Prashant Yadav: Frontend Interview Experience at Amazon Germany
- Siddharth: Deno: The next step in Node.js
- Tapajyoti Bose: 5 UX Tips to Become a Better Front End Developer
- Taslan Graham: Node.js Event Emitter
- npm run dev: 6 reasons to use Tailwind over traditional CSS
- vansh bhardwaj: 10 VS Code extensions every Frontend Developer should use
- Kinanee Samson: Solid Design Principles
- James Lau: My Basic Front-end Development Git workflow Routine
- Shadid Haque: 5 Git Tricks Every Developer Should Know
- Ruben Sanchez: 69 tips I got from The Pragmatic Programmer
- Vedran Cindrić: Loaded in 600 milliseconds
- Voider: Why Every Software Engineer Should Learn Computer Architecture.
- Mads Stoumann: Building A Minimal AutoSuggest
- Carsten Behrens: The basics of JWT (JSON Web Tokens) for Dummies
- Kingsley Ubah: What is Polymorphism? - Explaining Polymorphism to a Five Year Old
- Somsubhra Das: Supabase - An OpenSource Firebase Alternative
- Shubhra Agarwal: 8 Projects you should make to take your React Game to the next level
- npm run dev: How to keep Tailwind DRY
- MD JUNAID ALAM: 10 Super easy CSS Shapes for beginners
- Madza: 6 Useful Tips from Visitors To Improve your Portfolio 🌱🚀
- Charlie Gerard: Making an interactive digital frame with head-tracking using Three.js and TensorFlow.js
- Modern Web: How to make Button CSS Hover Effect. Pure CSS Wavy Design. Html button.
- Mike Talbot: React lists without .map
- STeve Shary: Tips on Building a Docker image (quickly) in a CI/CD Pipeline
- Web Dev Ken: Why I Decided To Stay A Frontend Engineer And Stopped Searching Full-Stack Jobs
- Maroun Baydoun: Migrating a React codebase to web components
Trending This Week On Hacker News
- Apple's plan to “think different” about encryption opens a backdoor to your life: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2021/08/apples-plan-think-different-about-encryption-opens-backdoor-your-private-life
- Apple enabling client-side CSAM scanning on iPhone tomorrow: https://twitter.com/matthew_d_green/status/1423071186616000513
- An Open Letter Against Apple's Privacy-Invasive Content Scanning Technology: https://appleprivacyletter.com/
- An open letter against Apple's new privacy-invasive client-side content scanning: https://github.com/nadimkobeissi/appleprivacyletter
- CalyxOS – De-Googled Android Alternative: https://calyxos.org/
- On Apple’s “Expanded Protections for Children” – A Personal Story: https://areoform.wordpress.com/2021/08/06/on-apples-expanded-protections-for-children/
- The surreal experience of my first developer job: https://bennuttall.com/the-surreal-experience-of-my-first-developer-job/
- Mozilla Common Voice Adds 16 New Languages and 4,600 New Hours of Speech: https://foundation.mozilla.org/en/blog/mozilla-common-voice-adds-16-new-languages-and-4600-new-hours-of-speech/
- Airyx OS: http://airyx.org/
- The Problem with Perceptual Hashes: https://rentafounder.com/the-problem-with-perceptual-hashes/
- Swiss Ph.D student’s dismissal spotlights China’s influence: https://www.nzz.ch/english/swiss-phd-students-dismissal-spotlights-chinas-influence-ld.1638771
- In internal memo, Apple addresses concerns around new Photo scanning features: https://9to5mac.com/2021/08/06/apple-internal-memo-icloud-photo-scanning-concerns/
- Surveys show Americans want more walkable cities: https://www.governing.com/community/vehicles-still-firmly-in-control-of-city-streets
- New UUID Formats – IETF Draft: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-peabody-dispatch-new-uuid-format
- Scientist says cleaning indoor air could make us healthier and smarter: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/08/scientist-says-cleaning-indoor-air-could-make-us-healthier-and-smarter
- The historical accuracy of medieval city-builder video games: https://www.leidenmedievalistsblog.nl/articles/why-medieval-city-builder-video-games-are-historically-inaccurate
- Wealthy people are renouncing American citizenship: https://www.axios.com/wealthy-people-are-renouncing-american-citizenship-67fbada4-e2e4-4699-b106-c986839f209d.html
- Facebook executive helped Cuomo smear sex-harassment accuser: AG report: https://nypost.com/2021/08/04/facebook-exec-helped-cuomo-smear-sex-harassment-accuser-ag/
- U.S. FTC says Facebook misused privacy decree to shut down ad research: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tech-facebook-ftc/u-s-ftc-says-facebook-misused-privacy-decree-to-shut-down-ad-research-idUSKBN2F702X
- Apple’s new abuse prevention system: an antritust/competition point of view: https://blog.quintarelli.it/2021/08/apples-child-new-abuse-prevention-system-an-antritustcompetition-point-of-view.html
- Facebook bans researchers who were investigating Facebook ads: https://www.dailydot.com/debug/facebook-bans-researchers-providing-transparency-on-sites-ads/
- Reflections on 10k Hours of Programming: https://matt-rickard.com/reflections-on-10-000-hours-of-programming/
- HTTP/2-exclusive threats caused by implementation flaws and RFC imperfections: https://portswigger.net/research/http2
- After DeepMind’s cofounder was placed on leave for bullying, Google promoted him: https://www.morningbrew.com/emerging-tech/stories/2021/08/04/deepminds-cofounder-placed-leave-bullying-google-promoted
- LÖVR – An open source framework for rapidly building immersive 3D experiences: https://lovr.org
- Launch HN: BlackOakTV (YC S21) – Netflix for black people: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=28087309
- Sci-Hub is fundraising: https://sci-hub.do/donate
- Apple plans to scan US iPhones for child abuse imagery: https://www.ft.com/content/14440f81-d405-452f-97e2-a81458f5411f
- Dating in Delhi when you're poor: https://www.reuters.com/article/delhi-dating-idUSKBN1DU0NE
Developer Roundup is a weekly roundup blog. Stay tuned for more info on the project. Follow me on Twitter @dennisokeeffe92.
Subscribe to my personal newsletter to get updates on TheLastWeekIn.Dev + more! 🦄