TLWI Developer Weekly #57
Welcome back to another exciting week of our newsletter! We have all the latest scoop on tech news and web development to keep you at the forefront of your game. This week, we have some amazing resources to share with you, so keep reading!
If you're a self-taught frontend web developer, you know how hard it can be to stay focused. Distractions can come in all forms and often get in the way of your progress. But fear not! We have just the thing for you! Check out How to stay focused 🔍 as a self taught Frontend Web Developer 💻 for some great tips on how to stay on track and make the most of your coding time.
In other news, have you heard about the recent fraud charges against Trevor Milton, the founder of electric carmaker Nikola? US prosecutors charge Trevor Milton, founder of electric carmaker Nikola, with three counts of fraud - this is a fascinating development and one that we'll be keeping a close eye on.
But let's shift gears and talk about something more fun - CSS Tips & Tricks! We know that styling can be a tricky business, so we've gathered some amazing tips to help you take your CSS skills to the next level. Click Amazing CSS Tips & Tricks for inspiration and ideas.
Last but not least - who doesn't love free resources? If you're a TailwindCSS user, you'll be pleased to know that we've found some amazing free components that will help you build UI faster. Check out Free TailwindCSS components to build UI faster to take advantage of all the freebies that are available to you.
That's all for this week folks! We hope you enjoy all the resources we've shared and don't forget to stay curious!
Our Repo Picks
- doocs/source-code-hunter (Java): 😱 从源码层面，剖析挖掘互联网行业主流技术的底层实现原理，为广大开发者 “提升技术深度” 提供便利。目前开放 Spring 全家桶，Mybatis、Netty、Dubbo 框架，及 Redis、Tomcat 中间件等
- Megvii-BaseDetection/YOLOX (Python): YOLOX is a high-performance anchor-free YOLO, exceeding yolov3~v5 with MegEngine, ONNX, TensorRT, ncnn, and OpenVINO supported.
- alan2207/bulletproof-react (TypeScript): 🛡️ ⚛️ A simple, scalable, and powerful architecture for building production ready React applications.
- CryptoBlades/cryptoblades (Vue): undefined
- FASTSHIFT/X-TRACK (C): A GPS bicycle speedometer that supports offline maps and track recording
- erda-project/erda (Go): An enterprise-grade Cloud-Native application platform for Kubernetes.
- bradtraversy/50projects50days (CSS): 50+ mini web projects using HTML, CSS & JS
- myspaghetti/macos-virtualbox (Shell): Push-button installer of macOS Catalina, Mojave, and High Sierra guests in Virtualbox for Windows, Linux, and macOS
- tinode/chat (Go): Instant messaging platform. Backend in Go. Clients: Swift iOS, Java Android, JS webapp, scriptable command line; chatbots
- blueedgetechno/windows11 (CSS): windows 11 in react 💻🌈⚡
- android/compose-samples (Kotlin): Official Jetpack Compose samples.
- trekhleb/learn-python (Python): 📚 Playground and cheatsheet for learning Python. Collection of Python scripts that are split by topics and contain code examples with explanations.
- jwasham/coding-interview-university : A complete computer science study plan to become a software engineer.
- golang-jwt/jwt (Go): Community maintained clone of https://github.com/dgrijalva/jwt-go
- dataease/dataease (Java): 人人可用的开源数据可视化分析工具。
- mvt-project/mvt (Python): MVT is a forensic tool to look for signs of infection in smartphone devices
- google/googletest (C++): GoogleTest - Google Testing and Mocking Framework
- protocolbuffers/protobuf (C++): Protocol Buffers - Google's data interchange format
- covidpass-org/covidpass (TypeScript): Web app for adding EU Digital COVID Certificates to your wallet apps
- Rapptz/discord.py (Python): An API wrapper for Discord written in Python.
- microsoft/CBL-Mariner (Go): Linux OS for Azure 1P services and edge appliances
- pittcsc/Summer2022-Internships (Python): Collection of Summer 2022 tech internships!
- iperov/DeepFaceLab (Python): DeepFaceLab is the leading software for creating deepfakes.
Our Article Picks
- The Nerdy Dev: ✨8 React Projects Every Beginner Should Try
- Chetan Atrawalkar👉CA.: 🚀20 Best CSS3 Library For Developers.
- Davide de Paolis: From Engineer to Tech Lead - Doubts and Challenges
- Tim Winfred (He/She/They): 31 Front-End Development Study Topics to Improve Your Code Quality
- Chris Hansen: How to stay focused 🔍 as a self taught Frontend Web Developer 💻
- Domagoj Vidovic: 14 VS Code Shortcuts to Supercharge Your Productivity
- Alexandre Freire: Node.js best practices list (July 2021)
- KUMAR HARSH: Complete Introduction to CSS Flexbox 💪
- Kritika Srivastava: How to think while building Web Applications
- Abhishek Raj: Top Interview Questions for Frontend Developers
- Tapajyoti Bose: 5 UI Tips to Become a Better Front End Developer
- Silvestar Bistrović: You don’t need React for building websites
- Pratham: How to Set up a Node.js Express Server for React
- Itay Schechner: Using WebSockets with React.js, the right way (no library needed)
- Modern Web: How to create youtube clone. Youtube clone with HTML, CSS, JS.
- Ben Halpern: You should probably learn TypeScript
- Manvi Tyagi: My Placements Journey
- Atharva Shirdhankar: Git it Right🔥🔥🚀(Git CheatSheet)
- Tamerlan Gudabayev: The Simple Guide to Programming Paradigms
- _CODE: Styled Components 101 💅 Lecture 2: Creating a theme + Light/Dark theme toggler example ☀️🌙
- Sreashi Saha: React Animations Using Framer Motion
- Nilanth: Redux Toolkit - The Standard Way to Write Redux
- InHuOfficial: 101 Digital Accessibility tips and tricks
- Adam Gordon Bell: 6 Command Line Tools for Productive Programmers
- Akash Shyam: To Typescript Or Not To?
- Joe_Sky: I made a vscode plugin that can write each part of React component in multiple split editors on the same screen
- Roli Gautam: How to make your first contribution to Open Source? A Beginner's Guide
- Akash Shyam: 7 Tips For Clean Code
- Maël Nison: Yarn 3.0 🚀🤖 Performances, ESBuild, Better Patches, ...
- Safak: Full Stack Netflix App (7 hours free tutorial)
- Dekel: Setup a new mac (for devs [and others]) 💻
- Beginner Developer: Some Underrated HTML Tag
- Jordan Brennan: Helpful patterns I use in Vue
- Alex Omeyer: 10 Must-Have JetBrains IDEs Plugins to Boost Your Productivity
- Iain Freestone: 🚀10 Trending projects on GitHub for web developers - 30th July 2021
- Yuiko Ito: TensorFlow + Next.js + TypeScript: Remove background and add virtual background image with web camera
- Vikrant Bhat: Free TailwindCSS components to build UI faster
- Nukala Suraj: The 20% Optimization That Improves 80% Web Performance
- Tarandeep Singh: Amazing CSS Tips & Tricks
- Roden: How create ⚛️ React Swiper Slider - easy tutorial 👨🏫
- capscode: Style console.log() like a PRO
- SAIFULLAH🇮🇳: 7 CSS Tricks you should know!
- Siddharth: How to write a good README
Trending This Week On Hacker News
- How Dwarf Fortress is built: https://stackoverflow.blog/2021/07/28/700000-lines-of-code-20-years-and-one-developer-how-dwarf-fortress-is-built/
- The mermaid is taking over Google search in Norway: https://alexskra.com/blog/the-mermaid-is-taking-over-google-search-in-norway/
- Who Owns My Name?: https://amandamarieknox.medium.com/who-owns-my-name-93561f83e502
- Show HN: Static.wiki – read-only Wikipedia using a 43GB SQLite file: http://static.wiki/
- Facebook is now claiming official CDC.gov links are “False Information”: https://i.postimg.cc/CLBCNx0Q/D4Hg99zw.jpg
- Activision Blizzard Hires Notorious Union-Busting Firm WilmerHale: https://www.promethean.news/news/activision-hires-notorious-union-busting-firm-wilmerhale
- 1 out of every 153 American workers is an Amazon employee: https://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-employees-number-1-of-153-us-workers-head-count-2021-7
- Crafting Interpreters is available in print: http://craftinginterpreters.com/
- Grand jury indicts Trevor Milton, Nikola founder, on three counts of fraud: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/29/us-prosecutors-charge-trevor-milton-founder-of-electric-carmaker-nikola-with-three-counts-of-fraud.html
- Faster CRDTs: An Adventure in Optimization: https://josephg.com/blog/crdts-go-brrr/
- New exotic matter particle, a tetraquark, discovered at CERN: https://phys.org/news/2021-07-exotic-particle-tetraquark.html
- Evil programmer's tip: avoid “easy” things (2016): http://yosefk.com/blog/evil-tip-avoid-easy-things.html
- Hosting SQLite Databases on GitHub Pages: https://phiresky.netlify.app/blog/2021/hosting-sqlite-databases-on-github-pages/
- DaisyUI – Tailwind CSS Components: https://daisyui.com/
- Berkeley Systems “After Dark” screensavers recreated in CSS: https://www.bryanbraun.com/after-dark-css/
- “I just got a copyright claim for TYPING ON MY KEYBOARD”: https://twitter.com/marcan42/status/1420807961518088194
- Command line tools for productive programmers: https://earthly.dev/blog/command-line-tools/
- Calculus Made Easy (1910): https://calculusmadeeasy.org/
- Why does man print “gimme gimme gimme” at 00:30? (2017): https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/405783/why-does-man-print-gimme-gimme-gimme-at-0030
- Techdirt Is Now Without Any Google Ads or Tracking Code: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20210726/09441047251/techdirt-is-now-entirely-without-any-google-ads-tracking-code.shtml
- From stolen laptop to inside the company network: https://dolosgroup.io/blog/2021/7/9/from-stolen-laptop-to-inside-the-company-network
- 38% of remote workers work from bed: https://www.axios.com/38-percent-remote-workers-work-bed-f8708125-a068-47ff-9519-bb7870011cd5.html
- The journey to controlling external monitors on M1 Macs: https://alinpanaitiu.com/blog/journey-to-ddc-on-m1-macs/
- Amazon Gets Record $888M EU Fine over Data Violations: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-07-30/amazon-given-record-888-million-eu-fine-for-data-privacy-breach
- 'Arthur,' the longest-running kids animated series, is ending: https://www.npr.org/2021/07/28/1021687616/pbs-kids-show-arthur-ending
- Triton: Open-Source GPU Programming for Neural Networks: https://www.openai.com/blog/triton/
- Duolingo reaches $6.5B valuation on day of IPO: https://www.reuters.com/technology/duolingo-valued-65-bln-shares-soar-debut-2021-07-28/
- The Inter typeface family: https://rsms.me/inter/
- Craig Murray will surrender himself for prison: https://thedissenter.org/whistleblower-craig-murray-will-surrender-himself-for-prison/
- Amazon Kindles with 3G will start to lose cellular network access in December: https://www.theverge.com/2021/7/28/22598747/kindle-3g-network-shutdown-e-readers-no-internet
Developer Roundup is a weekly roundup blog. Stay tuned for more info on the project. Follow me on Twitter @dennisokeeffe92.
Subscribe to my personal newsletter to get updates on TheLastWeekIn.Dev + more! 🦄